Re: Autocad 14 and solids help needed

From: John Wright (johnw@ra-ltd.co.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 10:09:33 EET

For what its worth - I wouldn't use solid modelling for any complex lofting
shape such as an aerofoil section - not because of the lofting, but because
of the root and tip conditions. Most of the blades that we have done have
had what appeared to be simple tip and root geometries, but on closer
inspection to get the right level of blending and finishing solid modellers
have a real problem.
I wouldn't use SolidWorks, although it is a pretty good product, experience
on a previous job has shown that its comformance to its control curves was a
bit loose, however other people may have different feelings.

I would agree with Catia but would definitely add another piece of software
to the list - Styler from Matra Datavision. This is a high order surface
product with all the usual surface checking routines. The great thing about
Styler (Strim as it used to be known) is that it is really easy to use for a
Surface Modeller and has good Iges repair routines and machining routines.
Evidence for this comes from its wide acceptance in the moulding industry
and French automotive industry - it also has brilliant Reverse Engineering
functions.

Best Regards
John Wright
Response Associates Ltd.