Re: [Re: [New photopolymers]]

From: Tr K (tr-k@usa.net)
Date: Tue Nov 17 1998 - 20:10:24 EET

Dear Glenn,

While I am not prepared to discuss our resin formulations, 3D Systems and
CibaSpecialty Chemicals have gone into limited release on a new high
temperature SL resin, Cibatool SL 5530HT. We announced it at the European
Stereolithography Users Association meeting in Luxembourg last week. Customers
have already proven capability in excess of 200C in automotive and aerospace
applications. Below are the preliminary datasheet and a user story:

AVAILABLE IN Q4 1998!
Cibatool SL 5530HT High Temperature Specialty Material for the
SLA-350/3500/5000

SL 5530HT specialty material is the latest addition to the Cibatool family of
stereolithography (SL) materials. SL 5530HT sets a precedent in the industry
by providing the highest temperature resistance of any SL material on the
market today - over 200° C (392° F)! It also performs extremely well in
elevated temperatures for water, steam, and solvents (i.e. automotive, oil and
coolant).

Not only does SL 5530HT resist very high temperatures for functional testing
under real operating conditions, it also provides optical clarity for flow
visualization, and accuracy that allows production of prototypes that mirror
the dimensions of the end-use part. In fact, it is the only rapid prototyping
material offering all three of these characteristics.

The 3D Systems tested build styles that are available for SL 5530HT include
EXACT and TOOLING. Recommended baseline parameters have been created for FAST
and QuickCast.

Ideal For:

· Under-hood component testing
· Hot fluid flow visualization
· HVAC component testing
· Intake manifold testing
· Lighting fixture (housings, covers) testing
· Tooling - Vacuum forming, hot melt tooling, high temperature RTV molding

Technical Specifications

Liquid Resin
Measurement Condition Value
Appearance Clear
Density @25oC (77oF) 1.188 g/cc
Viscosity @25oC (77oF) 310 cps
Penetration depth (Dp) 5.4 mils (5.6 mils SLA-3500)
Critical Exposure (Ec) 8.9 mj/cm2 (9.4 mils SLA-3500)
Part-building layer thickness 0.10 mm (0.004 in) *
                                        0.15 mm (0.006 in) *

            * Not applicable to all part geometries or build parameters.

Post-cured Part
Measurement Condition Value-UV Postcure Value-UV+160°C Thermal
T-strength ASTMD638 56-61MPa(8300-8900PSI) 47-61MPa(6800-8900PSI)
T-modulus ASTMD638 2889-3144MPa(419-456KSI) 3585-3758MPa(520-545KSI)
F-strength ASTMD790 63-87MPa(9100-12600PSI) 96-108MPa(13900-15700PSI)
F-modulus ASTMD790 2620-3240MPa(380-470KSI) 3496-3634MPa(507-527KSI)
Elongation ASTMD638 3.8-4.4% 1.3-2.9%
Impact(notched) ASTMD256 21J/m(0.4ft-lbs/in) 21J/m(0.4ft-lbs/in)
Hardness(Shore D) DIN 53505 88 90
Tg DMA,"E"peak 79C(174F) 122oC (252F)
HDT ASTMD648
            @66 PSI 80C(176F)+ 200oC(392F)+

Lockheed Martin Saves Time, Labor and Money Making SL Molds with New
High-Temperature CibatoolŪ SL 5530HT Resin from Ciba Specialty Chemicals and
3D Systems

For more than 50 years, Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works has successfully
developed prototype and limited production aircraft. Their stated mission is
"to satisfy any national need requiring prototyping or specialized technology
to produce a rapidly required system of limited quantity in a quick, quiet and
cost-effective manner using all the strengths of the corporation."

The Skunk Works is always looking for ways to improve on their strengths, and
one way is to work closely with their suppliers. As a recent example, The
Skunk Works had been producing molds for high-temperature use by building a
stereolithography pattern of a part, then using the pattern to hand-fabricate
a mold. This entails a fiberglass resin that's molded to the SL pattern, then
hardened at room temperature. After the mold is removed from the pattern, it's
post-cured in an oven to give it the higher temperature resistance needed to
survive the next step. Then the mold is used to create a hot-melt mandrel of
eutectic salt, a special compound designed for creating patterns. After, the
mandrel is wrapped with a carbon-graphite epoxy pre-preg and cured in an oven
to produce the final part.

This multi-step, manual mold-making method is labor intensive and time
consuming. An ideal solution for The Skunk Works would be to make the molds
directly on an SLA, which would eliminate a lengthy step in the procedure.
But no available stereolithography resin could withstand the high temperatures
required by the hot-melt process. So The Skunk Works teamed with 3D Systems
and Ciba Specialty Chemicals in testing a new stereolithography resin designed
for use in very high-temperature applications. The new resin, Cibatool SL
5530HT, is for use on 3D Systems' SLA-350, SLA-3500 and SLA-5000 rapid
prototyping machines.

Cibatool SL 5530HT is currently being market-tested in Japan, where its
performance in field trials has directly influenced sales of SLA-5000 units to
Hitachi and Toyota. Not only does SL 5530HT resist very high temperatures for
functional testing under real operating conditions, it also provides optical
clarity, for flow visualization, and accuracy that allows production of
prototypes that mirror the dimensions of the end-use part. In fact, it's the
only rapid prototyping material offering all three of these characteristics.

The Skunk Works' two-part stereolithography mold for an L-shaped aircraft
ducting was built on a 3D Systems SLA-350 with the new SL 5530HT resin. The
mold was pre-heated to 121°C (250°F) and insulated against cooling to prevent
cracking from thermal shock. The 232°C (450°F) molten salt compound was then
poured into the mold. As the heat was released to the mold-after about a
minute-a shell of approximately 1/4-inch had formed. The salt was then poured
out, and, following a brief cooling-down period of about five minutes, the
mandrel was removed from the mold. The stereolithography mold made from SL
5530HT had successfully withstood the high-temperature rigors of the hot-melt
process.

Because of the significant savings in time, labor and cost that SL 5530HT can
yield, The Skunk Works is considering bringing direct high-temperature
mold-making capability in-house by adding a compatible model to its existing
arsenal of 3D Systems SLA machines.

The new high-temperature SL 5530HT resin is currently available in limited
release. 3D Systems expects general availability by the end of 1998.

 ###

3D Systems and SLA are trademarks of 3D Systems, Inc. Cibatool is a
registered trademark of Ciba Specialty Chemicals Corp.

One interesting note about the user story, The Skunk Works is looking at an
even higher temperature salt for this process. We looking to test the higher
temp salt in the near future.

What temperature do you need for your application(s)? For what types of
applications can the resin be useful? What do you think about this resin
based on this information?

Regards,
Bob Kruger
Product Manager
Ciba Specialty Chemical
5121 San Fernando Road West
Los Angeles, CA 90039
phone: 818.265.7206
fax: 818.247.6616
email: bob.kruger@cibasc.com

> owner-rp-ml@ltk.hut.fi wrote:

> > Dear rp-ml:

> > Is anybody investigating the use of silicon-based photopolymers,
especially