FW: just a thought : the new looks for Reverse Engineering...

From: Dr Anshuman Razdan (razdan@asu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 17 1998 - 06:39:42 EET

I agree with the thoughts presented here. Looking at a step beyond the data
capture, the modeling of the data poses the other side of the problem. And
its not a trivial one. From data reduction to fitting a surface thru large
number of data points in an "automated" manner are only some of the hurdles.
The issue of mathematically modeling mother nature brings up yet another
interesting topic - mother nature didnt intend to be modeled solely with
trimmed NURBS (Non Rational B Spline Surfaces), no matter what the degree,
no matter what the parametrization. It has taken a long time for the CAD
world to come to an agreement on NURBs as the underlying surface scheme but
there is more to it. As more and more complex objects are to be reverse
engineered should we be limited to do with network of (trimmed) NURB surface
patches or should we go the route of object oriented programming paradigm,
i.e. each surface type/patch (whatever) has a published interface and to put
together a set of surfaces one picks the right type of surfaces, stitching a
quilt, with the right continuity conditions, boundary constraints etc. Is it
possible mathematically ? Are there any solid modelers who publicly support
other type of surfaces other than NURBS. I know some have internal blending
pathces for specific uses. Dont get me wrong. I make a living off of NURBs.
But nevertheless I hope this stimulates some serious conversation aimed at
tomorrow.