just a thought : the new looks for Reverse Engineering...

From: Innomation Systems & Technologies Pte. Ltd., (istpl@singnet.com.sg)
Date: Tue Nov 17 1998 - 10:40:44 EET

hi list,

i had seen many emails passing through about scanners and digitising.

very soon..i think that there will be a new mailing list for Reverse
Engineering.

but the things i will like to predict is that Reverse Engineering may be
the master of Rapid Prototyping in the next couple of years.

Mankind's creativity if bounded by the CAD/CAM limitations can never exceed
to new boundaries. no matter how we design the models to be more streamline
we can never defeat Mother's nature talents in design for beauty,
efficiency and survival. hence, as we approach this limit....what we have
created as new may just look similar to something that looks old.

imagine if you just put ten people in an isolated town and let them marry
among themselves and so do their offspring....what type of genetic features
can be described as new??? ( by the way, it also means incest!!!)

Reverse Engineering will also follow the evolution trend to be developed to
a higher stage....from using touch probe to laser digitising...i believe
the next phase of achievement will be the optical digitisers such as
Steinbichler, EOIS, Hymarc(distinctively from conventional laser
digitising) etc. to dominate the markets. look at how creatures had evolved
from using feelers (such as tentacles or hands) to feel the
surronding.....to the advance developed eyes for sight.....is not optical
digitising be the next stage that will be the most salient and dominant
systems to be adopted for use.

just my thoughts!!!

Sincerely,
joseph sim

Innomation Systems & Technologies Pte. Ltd.,
12, New Industrial Road, Thoren Technocentre
#06-03 Singapore - 536202
Republic of Singapore
Tel : 065-3828685
Fax : 065-3828658