Costs of RP technology in investment casting tooling

From: Andrew Kaley (ask144@psu.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 23:16:41 EET

Dear all,
How are you all doing?
Wow, my questions (not only news) travel fast, don't they? :)

I have several more questions:
1. What are the costs involved in using RP in investment casting tooling?
Suppose I were an investment casting foundry who would like to investigate
the potential of
using RP in my foundry.

a. What are issues I should think about, say,to assess if I can use RP for
my foundry?
What information should I give in order to get a correct quote for the
correct machine/material?

b. What types (no need to express values) of costs are involved in SETTING
UP an RP machine?
(e.g. computer, training, setup, material, etc.)

c. What types of costs are involved in using RP and maintaining an RP machine?

2. Since space is cost, what is the smallest and the largest of the latest
RP machine for investment casting tooling?
Square ft of area approximation would be great.

3. What are the typical costs of (range in US Dollars would be great). If I
can find these at homepages, please let me know.
        a. The latest RP machine for investment tooling? Please include example
names.
        b. The latest material (e.g. epoxy, etc.)? Please include example names.
        c. Other costs.

Much thanks before.

Yours sincerely,
Andrew Kaley

Andrew S. Kaley
Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
The Pennsylvania State University
207 Hammond Building
University Park, PA 16802

Phone: (814) 863-2378