Re: Machine Depreciation Question

From: Joe Allison (Joe@SolidConcepts.com)
Date: Thu Nov 12 1998 - 03:17:51 EET

Hi Ross,

I have heard numbers ranging from 5-10 years for straight line depreciation
of RP equipment. We use 10 years for our SLAs it so far that has been close
to accurate. I think 8 years would be better but I'm not going to change now.

This number is for our companies financials. Depreciation for tax purposes
is different. Not being an accountant, I prefer not to comment on

At 12:12 PM 11/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>This is a question for American RP machine users.
>
>What are the typical years of depreciation does your company place on
>the RP machines you own? Accountants know how to get the best
>depreciation of typical capital expenditures, but RP machines are not
>typical, mostly because of their high cost and short technology life.
>For anyone who is interested, I will tabulate and post the results on
>the rp-ml.
>
>To the non-Americans on the list. This is a game we play to keep our
>hard earned money from paying salaries for interns at the White House.
>
>Ross Gates
>Select Manufacturing Services Inc.
>Muskegon, MI
>ross@selecteng.com