Re: RP

From: Jungtae Hwang (J.T.Hwang@sussex.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 06 1998 - 12:13:44 EET

Dear Bauer,

I think you indicated an important aspect of RP-> RManufacturing.
Environment friendly product should be easy to disassemble. But till now the
paradox is, if we want to design product like that, it makes hard to assemble.
In the future, it will be an advantage for Rapid Manufacturing (with massive
decrease in material price)
The smashing point of RP is that it enables to avoid assembly -most labour
intensive process of manufacturing, thus human-machine interface problems could
be circumvent by RP. It is like invention of the needle of automatic sewing
machine. We call it "reverse salient" in the evolution of technology.

--
Jungtae Hwang

Dphil Candidate SPRU(Science and Technology Policy Research), University of Sussex ______________________________________________

E-mail : J.T.Hwang@sussex.ac.uk

HOME : Tel/Fax : +44 (0)1273 605329 WORK : Tel: +44-(0)1273-686758 ext. 3549 Fax: +44-(0)1273-685865 _______________________________________________

Mantell Building, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, East Sussex BN1 9RF, UK