RE: 5 axis CNC Machining Centres

From: j.Gunnink@ind.tno.nl
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 14:30:16 EET

Hi Dan,

Which milling machine is difficult to say. It depends on a load of things
(as you know) but about controllers i can tell you one thing: look at the
block cycle-time:

For instance:

When you want an accuraccy of 0.01mm (normal in tooling) then the avarage
distance between two "NC-points" (from point A to the following point B) is
about the same: 0.01 mm. When you have a controller with a block cycle time
(the time to process a NC-line (called a block)) of 2ms (normal in
controllers) then the machine isn't capable to have a feedrate higher then

0.01mm / 2 ms = 0.01 m / 2s = 0.005 m / s = 0.3 m/min

 isn't high speed or fast at all. So when the manufacturere tells you that
they can get a feedrate of 20 m/min look very good at the controller.

In most of the cases is the controller the last bit of the machine: I think
it is one of the first pieces to look at. Especially at 5-axiis in which a
controller is asked for a lot of calculations

Once again : look very very very good at your controller

Bye from Holland

Jan Willem Gunnink