Re: Wow - more 3-D scanners!

From: Ralph Knorpp (rpk@IPA.FhG.de)
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 09:58:48 EET

Dear Marshall, Terry and list,

I collected some numbers about the sales of fast optical 3D-scanners in Germany,
but the information I have is far from a market study. Let me explain how I got
into this. My Ph.D. thesis is about "extracting characteristic lines from
unorganized point-clouds for Reverse Engineering". I wrote in the introduction
of the thesis, that the market for optical 3D-scanners is growing. Unfortunately
my Professor said: "Well, I would like to have some numbers about it" - and so I
had the Problem we are talking about. So what I did was the following:

I contacted the German distributers / resellers of fast optical 3D-scanners and
asked them about their sales numbers. The numbers listed below are the total
sales numbers in Germany per year of the companies:

Digibotics, GOM, Hymarc, Intecu, Kreon and Massen.

  1994: 4 systems
  1995: 9 systems
  1996: 15 systems
  1997: 27 systems

I also contacted Steinbichler and Breuckmann, but they refused to tell numbers,
so that is all I have, maybe the information is useful for you.

By the way, if anybody should be interested in the Ph.D. thesis itself (German
version only!), it is now available at "Springer" publishing house and has the
following title:

Formleitlinien fuer die Flaechenrueckfuehrung - Extraktion von Kanten und
Radiusauslauflinien aus unstrukturierten 3D-Messpunktmengen