RE: painting SLA's

From: John German (rsalbert@microserve.net)
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 17:03:50 EET

>Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 07:23:53 -0600
>From: John German <rsalbert@microserve.net>
>Subject: RE: painting SLA's
>
>Gabe wrote:
>
>I have a client that wants to SLA a part and have it painted for a show
>they are going to. While we have done this many times before, they want a
>specific paint I have never heard of before. It is called a POLANE paint. I
>am wondering if anyone has heard of this kind of paint and if it would
>"destroy" or "eat at" an SLA? Thanks in advance.

Gabe,

This is what I was able to find on the polane paint thing:

"POLANE" is a trade name for a series of coatings manufactured by
Sherwin-Williams. The POLANE family of coating includes epoxies,
polyurethanes, and others. A call to your local SW rep should provide all
of the information you need.

As far as eating SLA's is concerned... let me put it to you this way:

We work with SLA's in our production of prototype tooling on a regular
basis. And to the best of our knowledge, there isn't any type of solvent
that we have been able to obtain that 'disolves' SLA material once a
pattern is made and it has been cured. So, with that in mind, I don't
think you have to worry about any particular kind of paint that is going to
do any harm to a cured SLA model.

Hope this helps, and if someone out there in RP land knows of any kind of
solvent that might disolve SLA material, please let me know. That
information would be beneficial for the removal of SLA's from the completed
prototype tooling. I have even tried Citric Acid, but to no avail.

-John

 \ - Ralph S. Alberts Co. \
  \ - rsalbert@microserve.net \
   \ - http://www.microserve.net/~rsalberts \