RE: RP presentation to 'Civilians'

From: Derek Smith-EDS014 (Derek_Smith-EDS014@email.mot.com)
Date: Wed Oct 28 1998 - 21:04:31 EET

Pat,

I will address only one part of your presentation for visualizing the
"layered" part of the process. I usually tell people to imagine taking their
yearly Dilbert calendar (oops, you did say NO background in Engineering), or
a stack of several post-it (TM of 3M) pads, and "carving" a shape. When you
look at each layer of paper, you see a different cross-section, and these
are what RP machines create and join together, using different materials and
methods.

I think a more effective demonstration (just due to the fact that it grabbed
the attention of the audience) was one I used in Dublin, Ireland some time
ago. The night before, I grabbed a thick pile of the "beer mats" (those
cardboard coasters) while enjoying a nice local Guinness (several actually).
I held up a three inch stack and asked everyone to imagine... They were
nodding their heads, but may have been imagining a nice beer, and not RP, so
I can't say for sure if this one worked ~:-)

"Cheers",

   ...eDerek
____________________________________

E. Derek Smith