Re: RP presentation to 'Civilians'

From: lblasch@opw-fc.com
Date: Wed Oct 28 1998 - 10:23:19 EET

     Patrick,

     Most people have seen relief maps or architectural models that were
     constructed from layers of cardboard or foam board to produce the land
     contours. This is an easily understood fabrication method to start
     with.

     The toy stores in your area may also carry a 3d Puzzle that is
     comprised of plastic profiles that you stack up in the proper order to
     produce a model. I've seen a number of these ranging from eagles to
     human heads.

     I have found that this is the most usefull tool imaginable for
     explaining Additive and Subtractive prototyping methodology to the
     "Civilians".

     I would proceed like this:

     Step 1) Conceptual design in Virtual Reality on the computer.

     Step 2) Concept model prototyping.

     Step 3) Refinement of the design through communication with others
             using prototype.

     Step 4) Prototype of "tooling masters, tooling inserts, patterns,,,"
             to create actual product.

     Step 5) Start over

     Sincerely,

     Larry Blasch
     System Administrator for Engineering Services

     OPW Fueling Components Voice: (513) 870-3356
     P.O. Box 405003 Fax: (513) 870-3338
     Cincinnati, OH 45240-5003 USA
     * "When all else fails, Manipulate the data... Albert Einstein" *