My Pro/E Data Translation Question

From: rjensen@parker.com
Date: Sat Oct 24 1998 - 00:05:18 EEST

Thank you for the responses to my posting. Responses so far:

1. Use of faceted geometry (stl/vrml/voxel) or STEP. "The use of STEP from
ProE to Catia is
supposed to be very accurate. The only concern is the datasize."

2. There is a web site with several translators:
http://www.armonicos.com/ms30/english/e-index.html

3. "My experience has been that IGES of trimmed surfaces is the best way to
obtain usable data into Pro/E."

4. "Maybe you should use a service company who is already trained and is
currently using those systems to convert the data for you. I think you will
find that there is no other easy reliable way."

Our dilemma is that some of our large corporate customers are requiring us
to supply actual, modifiable models in their chosen modeling systems, so
that changes can be communicated on a weekly or even daily basis. This
eliminates STL and IGES (which we tried) as posibilities and a service
bureau as too slow and expensive.

So, I will continue to look at translators and STEP and hope that something
is versatile enough to work.

Thanks!
Russ Jensen
Parker Hannifin Corp., Racor Div.