It isn't Additive, but it might be RP for the Masses...

From: EdGrenda@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 18:54:33 EEST

Hi:

Roland Digital has recently introduced a couple of interesting devices. (See
for example, Computer Graphics World, Oct. '98, p.10) I'm surprised that no
one has mentioned them on the list since they seem to go a long way towards
the kind of "Personal Prototyping" revolution that has been a topic here so
often.

The combo is a probe-type digitizer and 3-axis miller. Looks to me like the
miller is slow and the envelope is small, but the stated resolution (SW at
least) is around 0.001", and you can cut a variety of materials. From the
Roland web site, it looks like they might have done a good job on the SW
interface, too. According to the CGW news release, the miller selling price
is only US$995 and the scanner is US$1195.

I've attached some specs and edited ad copy from the Roland site below my
signature for convenience (or annoyance). I was impressed with the specs and
prices and wondering what other folks thought.

Before you ask, Roland doesn't pay me (although I'm open to it), and I have no
contact with them whatsoever.

Ed Grenda
AutoFab Systems, Inc.
19 Pondview Road
Arlington, MA 02474 USA
781-646-6280 (voice or fax)
EdGrenda@aol.com (email)
========================
http://www.rolanddga.com/

***THREE AXIS MILLING MACHINE
MODELA's ease of use and safety features in combination with its inexpensive
price tag makes it ideally suitable for family entertainment as well as hobby
applications. Using a mouse and MODELA's interactive software you can
dynamically create 3D designs on screen and machine them out almost as easily
as you would output images on a color printer. Models, replicas, miniatures,
dolls, name plates, door signs, lures for fishing, the possibilities are
endless and only limited by your imagination. MODELA, with its very small
footprint, can be set up beside the computer even though it is a three axis
milling machine. 3D control technology is condensed into a neat and compact
body. The working volume of MODELA is 152.4 mm [6"] (X-axis) by 101.6 mm [4"]
(Y-axis) by 40.65 mm [1-9/16"] (Z-axis). It is suitable for all sorts of hobby
/ enthusiast applications.

CUTTING MATERIALS: Modeling wax, Chemical wood, ABS, Modeling foam, Plaster,
Balsa wood, Wood, Cork, Polyester, Polyurethane

MODELA 3D Plotter Specifications
Table size: 6 - 11/16 " (X) x 4 - 5/16" (Y) (170mm x 110mm)
Max. working area: 6" (X) x 4" (Y) x 1 - 9/16" (Z) (152.4mm x 101.6mm x
40.65mm)
Feed rate: 0.1mm / sec. - 15mm / sec.
Spindle motor: 5W (DC Motor) Revolution speed: 4500 rpm (+/- 10%)
Software resolution: 0.025mm / step
Tool chuck: 1/4" dia. (6mm)
Interface: Parallel (Centronics)
External dimensions: 13 - 13/16" (W) x 13" (H) x 11 - 13/16" (D)
                (350mm (W) x 330mm (H) x 300mm (D))
Weight: 15.4 lbs. (7kg)

***3D SCANNER
PICZA is a compact 3D scanner that fits perfectly into both your desktop space
and your budget. When we designed it, we started by developing a new sensor
that eliminates the drawbacks of conventional contact-type 3D scanners. This
innovative sensor, the "Roland Active Piezo Sensor (R.A.P.S.)", can scan data
with hair-splitting precision, picking up even the most minute shape
variations. Minimum scanning pitches are 0.025mm in height (Z axis) and 0.05mm
in width (X axis) and depth (Y axis). The scanning volume measures 150mm in
the X axis, 100mm in the Y axis and 40mm in the Z axis.

Scan all kinds of objects.
As well as increasing scanning accuracy, the R.A.P.S. has also expanded the
range of materials that can be scanned. Since it's a contact-type scanner, you
can scan glass and other transparent materials. Plus, it can also scan clay
figures, fruit and other soft objects with unparalleled accuracy. Even if you
are not very good at 3D CAD design, you can scan clay shapes for professional-
quality computer graphics and the production of handicrafts. In addition to
being an innovative 3D scanner, PICZA can also expand the scope of what you
can do with your PC, for extra creativity and fun.

PICZA Specifications
Table size: 6 - 11/16 " (X) x 4 - 5/16" (Y) (170mm x 110mm)
Max. working area: 6" (X) x 4" (Y) x 1 - 9/16" (Z) (152.4mm x 101.6mm x
40.65mm)
Feed rate: 4mm / sec. - 20mm / sec.
Sensor unit: piezo sensor
Scan pitch: X,Y axis: 0.05mm - 1.0mm (in increment of 0.05mm), Z axis: 0.025mm
Interface: Serial connection (RS-232C)
External dimensions: 13 - 13/16" (W) x 13" (H) x 11 - 13/16" (D)
                 (350mm (W) x 330mm (H) x 300mm (D))
Weight: 22 lbs. (10kg)
Acceptable mat. wght: Up to 0.9 lbs. (400g)