Re: Rapid Tooling for Plastic Injection

From: jim@paramountind.com
Date: Wed Oct 21 1998 - 03:13:48 EEST

     Based on our experience 8-10 years ago with S-7 steel cast molds
     tolerances were much like investment casting. We did a compression
     mold to produce an impeller. We had to add .030" machining stock to
     all the vane surfaces and later machine to specified tolerances. So I
     am curious to learn if Sarco's process is applicable for small more
     accurate parts as opposed to large tire molds. By the way we have had
     tremendous success casting aluminum molds using ceramic intermidiate
     molds. Dimensionally very predictable. But that's not steel. So the
     fact they are using P20, H13 and stainless has me curious to
     understand other limitations (if any).

     Jim