Re: origin of a word

From: Marshall Burns (marshall@ennex.com)
Date: Tue Oct 20 1998 - 16:53:58 EEST

Rapid Dude wrote:

> the answer. Well, it happened me the other day. A friend of mine
> asked 'where does the word Stereolithography come from' - and of course I
> didn't have a clue. And I got that Look.

Hannu,

    Stereolithography means "3-D printing." The first part, "stereo-," refers
to the phenomenon by which we percieve three dimensions using stereoscopic
vision. And the rest, "lithography," is a common technology for printing.

    The term, "stereolithography" was used by 3D Systems from its earliest
days, but they did not claim it as a trade mark. Most people use the term to
refer to laser curing fabrication as performed by the SLA and other similar
fabricators. Sometimes you see the term used to refer to any kind of additive
fabrication.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
Marshall@Ennex.com