Re: machining from .stl files

From: SCat3D@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 19 1998 - 21:42:18 EEST

<<As a side note, creating a nurb surface model from 3D scan data (data from a
3D
scanner) is a different animal than creating one from an STL file.>>

Matthew,

As a reformed 3D Systems employee with a decade of experience in RP processes,
I am well aware of the differences between uniform scan data and a CAD
generated file. As a software coder, I am fully capable of creating solutions
to such problems. Contrary to your opinion, large flat areas actually make
the job easier, as they can act as easily replicable datums.

The software we use is not currently available to the public. I have tried
the other programs and I am aware of their capabilities and limitations.
Bottom line: we are DOING it.