Re: machining from .stl files

From: Steve_Farentinos (steve@pmli.com)
Date: Mon Oct 19 1998 - 18:53:12 EEST

Steve,

I see the doggy. very nice. But this was not done by simply importing an STL
file into Pro/E, was it? The original question was, to paraphrase, "should I
convert an STL file to IGES and import it into Pro/E in order to generate a
machining tool path?" The answer is still no, unless Pro/E has some new
features I'm not aware of.

In your CGW example, there's an intermediate step of converting a point cloud
into a set of surfaces, using Surfacer, Strim, VX or others (i've heard Alias
is good at this too, but I haven't seen it work). If you have the software and
hardware tools to do this, it's an elegant solution.

Steve

--
Steve Farentinos
PML, Inc.