Re: searching for help

From: Mark Bannister (app2web@appal.com)
Date: Fri Oct 16 1998 - 23:25:22 EEST

The problem you will run into is that if this is not a serious request to
build parts you will not get a well thought out quote. It takes a lot of
time to do a tool quote and these folks are busy.
Also if you send out quotes randomly you will get an amazing range of prices
that will make your 10-15% cost savings negligible.
Best way to conduct this experiment is to find somebody doing a very large
project who will attract the tool maker's attention. Then I would suggest
only sending three options:
1- 2D drawings with ISO views (but let mold builder know that 3D models will
be supplied on build)
2- 2D drawings and 3D database (VRML won't help much, send IGES, STEP, or
native CAD format as appropriate)
3- 2D, 3D and physical model.
I will suspect that for tool makers not employing extensive 3D techniques
you will get a better price and faster response with the physical models.
For tool makers using 3D tools you will see little difference between 2 & 3
(but they may say thankyou for the model-they do help) except for very
complicated tools.
You will also need to look at response time as it should be shorter for
options 2 & 3.
Mark Bannister