Re: searching for help

From: Jay Jacobs (Jay@brapid.com)
Date: Fri Oct 16 1998 - 16:51:35 EEST

Clara,

I think there is a project waiting on the simple application of Rapid
Prototyping as a visualization tool for molders/ mold makers. Visualization
models are cheap now with the introduction of machines like 3D Systems
Actua. Ford and others have done studies showing that quotes are 10-15%
less when a rapid prototype is sent along with the RFQ. And when an order
has been taken for the tool, make a Rapid Prototype for the tool designer.
A 3D model will result in both instances in a faster understanding of the
part geometry and will result in less errors being made in the tool
construction. Translation: dollar savings in the RFQ stage, and time and
dollar savings in the actual mold building.

Yet few molders/ mold makers do this as a standard part of the business
process. A great project would be to document the savings and write an
article for a plastic's magazine!

Jay Jacobs
Brookfield Rapid Solutions
(603) 577-9970