Horse's Head Enquiry: Results

From: Murphy, Matt (matt.murphy@pera.com)
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 15:29:56 EEST

Thanks to all who have replied so promptly to my enquiry.

It appears that there may be a development machine available which will
collect point cloud data in a single shot using a number of digital cameras.
This is not commercially available yet, but I am looking into using it for a
trial.

There may also be potential to use the 'shape-from-shading' technique which
derives 3D shape info from grey-scale shading on photographs. This
obviously won't be too accurate but may be ok in my application.

In answer to those who suggested:

using a statue
cutting the horses head off
hypnotising / tranquilising the horse
shooting the horse
begging a spare head from a dog food factory

thanks for your input BUT......

......the purpose of this project is to collect a 100% faithful
representation of a specific horse on behalf of its loving owner.

Tranquilising/hypnotising could work but in this condition the horse would
be relaxed and its muscle definition would not be as in normal conditions.
In addition, I don't fancy holding a racehorse up for the time required to
laser scan.

Thanks again, and if anyone has any further thoughts please get in touch.

Matt

Dr Matt Murphy
Head of Practice - Rapid Manufacturing
Pera Group