Form Z, Rhino and No accounting for taste

From: michael rees (zedand00@sound.net)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 19:48:14 EEST

Dear Mr. Carruthers,

In my last email, I did state, imho(in my humble opinion). I went to
lengths in that email to clarify that. For example my first paragraph
stated

"Its kind
of silly when people defend the program they are using as superior in
all respects. The fact is, different tools for different purposes. "

>who love Form Z(mostly
>'cause they're Mac addicts so there isn't really anything else,)

I run Form Z on an Alpha windows NT platform, and have used solid works
and pro E(though I'm not a whiz in either).

>You obviously havnen't used it in a long time,

Its true, its been about 6 months since I evaluated Rhino.

>and/or are trying to >sell
>your own product.

I don't care if anyone ever buys form Z from me. I'm not in the software
business. I do think Form Z is a package that could be succesfully used
in wider industrial application. It is my desire not to knock rhino but
rather to open possibilities for other less capitally endowed companies
or individuals. After all, the promise of rapid prototyping is that it
will become desktop manufacturing. To do that, simple, inexpensive cad
tools must be available.

I'm sure there are a bunch of engineers out there who've dreamed of
making rp objects on their own time who don't have the capital to buy
the big buck programs. Here are two alternatives Form Z and Rhino. A
third is coming from Electric image, the electric image modeler and a
forth, which is a facet modeler is available from Nichimen graphics for
around 150$!!

best

--
michael rees SCULPTOR 		http://www.sound.net/~zedand00/