TCT and RP and me

From: Elaine Hunt (elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 15:10:23 EEST

Mark,

>There is one event that has shown significant growth over the past three
years and we did hope that you would be able to get involved in it this year.

After giving nearly 10 years to this technology some supported by out of
pocket funds, I reevaluated my involvement and impact on the industry as a
whole. I decided that my employer gained the benefits and that my value as
an individual was small compared to the negative impact of personal funds
being used for travel. I decided that my money would do ME more good in the
stock market. Maybe that was selfish but hey I'm human and do want to
retire someday.

>I would love to have you involved in an event like this - don't say we did
>not invite you! I would be most interested to hear your thoughts about what

Yes you did invite me but to gain foreign travel approval it take the
president of this university's signature. When money is tight you may as
well expect to win the lottery even if the justification is as a keynote.
Also I am staff and not faculty so I have no incentive funds to spend.

If I see one important thing missing in the world of RP it is the exchange
of ideas across cultural lines. That is why I toyed with the idea of an
international RP users group. I discussed this with Hans Langer many years
ago and still feel this would be a fantastic event even if I am not
involved. While industry sing the international anthem I am afraid they
still hold as many "national" bias as ever before.

Always a user,

Elaine
Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director
Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
http://chip.eng.clemson.edu/rp/persall/elaine.html