Hexapod summary

From: DANIEL CHARLES DAVIS (DANIEL@proton.com.my)
Date: Mon Sep 21 1998 - 04:43:46 EEST

Hello all,

I received a great deal of response regarding the Hexapod subject. For
those not familiar with the technology, it is a positioning system using
six variable length struts to allow six degrees of freedom. Supposedly
will make multi-axis machining centers more accurate and lower cost.
Time will tell, I guess.

I asked the list for more info and contact information. The comments
received were:

* G+L Machine and Ingersol Milling have hexapod machines for sale.
Several years ago, the only programming software available was Camax
which no longer exists. Our evaluation at the time was it was a million
dollar machine doing the work of a 1/4 million dollar machine. Neat idea
though. Bob Morton

* On the CAMAND subject, Ken Morgan adds: Camand from Camax will
probably be available through SDRC dealers for 4 and 5 axis work until
their other cam software "Generative Machining" gets up to speed.

* Web pages: Ingersoll, http://www.ingersoll.com; Hexel,
http://www.hexel.com; NEOS Robotics, http://www.neosrobotics.com;
Giddings & Lewis, http://www.giddings.com; Geodetics,
http://www.dreamhouse.se; Sandia Labs,
http://www.sandia.gov/imtl/hexapod

* The Tricept from NEOS is not really a hexapod as it has only
three legs. Has much of the potential advantages of the hexapods and it
is in productive operation in many companies in US/Europe. Berndt
Holmer.

* Machine names: Ingersoll VOH 600 and VOH 1000; Mikromat 6X
Hexa; Geodetic G1000 and G500; Comau; Giddings & Lewis Variax
Hexacentre. Lex Lennings.

* The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in the
U.S. also has a research program for hexapod machines. Please see
http://www.mel.nist.gov/namt/projects/hexapod/hex1.htm . The
participants of this project should be able to provide additional
contact information for commercial hexapod machines. Kevin Jurrens

* I looked at the reference pages (for the manufacturers) and
can't find anything particularly useful. You might try looking for
Stewart Platform rather than Hexapod, but I think you are on to a loser
if you are looking for viable commercial systems. There are a few but
'few' is the operative word. Try the following links page
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~epxaah/research/linkstech.html . Ian
Gibson

Does anyone else have any thoughts to add to the viability and
availability to Hexapod-based mills?

---
Regards,
Dan Davis
PROTON Rapid Prototyping & Manufacturing Center
Hicom Industrial Estate
Batu Tiga, PO Box 7100
Shah Alam, 40918 Selangor MALAYSIA
+60 3 515-2380 phone/fax