RE: 1998 Conference at DTI: Rapid Tooling & Manufacturing

From: Derek Smith-EDS014 (Derek_Smith-EDS014@email.mot.com)
Date: Thu Sep 10 1998 - 22:15:37 EEST

Joe,

You're spelling was grate, sew let's knot start another spelling discussion
on the list this thyme! Buy the weigh, Eye was merely trying too point out
thee irony of a "20th century" male utility that doesn't check four grammar.

Seriously now. FWIW (For What It's Worth), I could not open the original
mail attachment either. I think there is an appropriate rate at which
software should change, determined by the added benefits relative to cost of
upgrading (not just $, but also time and effort). Not everyone has the same
balance, and email is probably the most universal form of electronic
communication, and therefore especially sensitive to this debate.

There is a reason this is a mailing list, and not some hot new web Java
applet driven forum. The reason is to reach a broader audience. If you are
suggesting it is appropriate to leave some people "behind" in exchange for
some marginal benefit which allows special attachments, I disagree. Where
would we then draw the line??

I think an appropriate solution is what we commonly see, which is to provide
the CONTENT of the message in basic text form, and if someone wants a fancy
formatted printout they can print and bring to their boss for approval to
attend the Conference, provide the text of the URL address in the message
and let those who need to access it that way. This is a good compromise, and
people have often used this approach.

> > What's the sense of upgrading your mail utility if you have to
> shut off
> > all the bells and whistles?

I think that is a very good question! The answer: use the bells and whistles
internally at Kodak to improve your productivity (if it indeed accomplishes
that), and when you go "outside", dumb it down for the rest of us.

> > Your running state of the art RP equipment,

Sounds like they put their investment where it will generate some revenue!

Regards,

   ...ederek