RE: Ciba 5220 SLA resin

From: DANIEL CHARLES DAVIS (DANIEL@proton.com.my)
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 04:03:06 EEST

Lynda,

This is regarding 5410 resin. We were one of the first users of this
resin (July 97).

> Does this resin live up to the claims?

Yes, yes, yes! The biggest advantage for me was the humidity
resistance. Here in Malaysia the nominal humidity (outside) is 85+%,
and even in my humidity controlled lab, it is 50+%. We have seen NO
softening of the parts over any length of time regardless of storage
conditions. The only exception to this is QuickCast parts, which soften
in about a week. Parts are very stable and accuracy is good (we hold
0.2mm as standard operating procedure and 0.1mm if need be).

> Are build times significantly faster?

I'd guess about 55 seconds a layer faster. 3D claims 0 seconds pre-dip
delay, but we have to run 10-15 seconds, as compared to 60-70 seconds
for 5180. Slightly faster draw speeds, too.

> Does it post cure like the 5170 without becoming gummy?

Yes.

> Are side wall finishes actually better?

They seem to be. One can achieve a knife edge (the supports can be
inadvertantly).

> How well do these parts finish off?

The same as with 5180, however, there does tend to be a large number of
pinholes on large FDF surfaces. Usually they are not a problem, but can
be on QC parts. Also, the resin is more brittle even when cured, so
care must be exercised when handling the parts. Not excessive, but more
than with the 5180.

> Do the supports remove easily?

For the most part, but they have very sharp edges so be careful not to
cut the nitrile gloves. The low green strength can be a problem here
with thin walls, so removal from the platform and finishing procedures
will have to be modified with this in mind (we broke a fair number when
we switched over).

---
Regards,
Dan Davis