RE: Pro-E and .stl files

From: C. Brock Rooney (brock@mich.com)
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 17:38:38 EEST

At 08:47 AM 9/2/98 +0800, Lin Liutong wrote
>We could definitely convert Pro-E part file to .stl files, but is
>there anyway that convert .stl file back Pro-E file?
>
>I could not find the way, can anyone tell me? I have tried to convert
>STL file into IGS, then Pro-E, but this could only get wireframe (Even
>worse, this wireframe is very confusing), rather then Solid. Is there
>anyway which can achieve this?
Our STL to IGES product can convert STL to IGES surfaces. Two adjacent planar
triangles can be combined into a quadrilateral, reducing the surface count.

Since the vertices of the triangles in a valid stl file match exactly, most
solid modelers can easily match the surface edges to make a solid. The problem
is the massive number of surfaces. Most engineering brep modelers do not
expect to import tens of thousands of surfaces. So the import and sewing
operation can take a Long time, and require Lots of memory. The result tends
to be large.

Faceted modelers, generally used in the visualization and rendering markets,
have a much easier time dealing with lots of polygons.

STLtoIG is part of our IGtoSTL package, and is also available separately.

C. Brock Rooney, Pres., Brock Rooney & Associates Inc. (Brockware)
        915 Westwood Birmingham MIchigan 48009 USA
(248) 645-0236 fax/bbs (248) 645-9020 email brock@mich.com