form*Z and IGES In

From: William D. Richards (wdr@virtcon.com)
Date: Tue Sep 01 1998 - 17:40:24 EEST

Dear Alvaro,

First of all, I would HIGHLY recommend you work with form.Z. I have been
using it for years to create STL files for prototypes, and only once did a
client have a problem with a file (and the problem was with HIS software,
not form.Z).

IGES files, on the other hand, are very difficult to work with. It isn't so
much a problem with form.Z as it is with standardization. There are
different forms of data that can be entered into an IGES file, and unless
you know and understand the settings your client used in saving that file,
you are going to have a mess on your hands.

The other side to this is to practice. You start to see the same problems
popping up again and again when loading different IGES files from various
clients. So when you see a condition that you recognize, you will then know
what you have to do to correct the model. I must admit, that sometimes my
action is to ask them to send me the model in a different format... <:)

As Mr. Rees pointed out, read the form.Z manuals on the subject. They will
best illustrate how to deal with IGES files and how you can work with them.

A last bit of advice: Always use BINARY STL when writing to STL.
Bill Richards Virtcon Design
wdr@virtcon.com 696 Paine Rd.
(508) 695-0534 North Attleborough, MA
                                                02760-4451