Re: ModelMaker

From: John Wigand (jwigand@sanders-prototype.com)
Date: Fri Aug 28 1998 - 17:57:43 EEST

Hi Ronaldo,

You wrote:
>I read that it was possible to modify the toolpath generation
>of an object in the Model Maker and that it uses a
>build material and a support material delivered through nozzles.

Sort of. The ModelMaker accepts a variety of input files including the
industry standard STL. From there, the user is able to select one of many
different configurations (typically just called "Configs") that will
control the build process. Configs range from 0.0005" thick layers with
multiple perimeter passes and a solid core interior, to 0.0040" thick
layers with single perimeters and hollow core (a grid at 0.024" pitch)
interiors. So indirectly, yes, the user can control the tool path.

The ProtoBuild (build material) and the ProtoSupport (support material) are
ejected in a drop on demand fashion through piezo ink jet nozzles at
frequencies of up to 12 KHz (droplets per second). The typical droplet
diameter is 0.003" producing walls as thin as 0.004".

>Is the Modelmaker process then similar to the Fused Deposition
>Modeling process?

Only in the sense that they are both considered to be rapid prototyping
processes and both build up models in layers. As mentioned above, the
ModelMaker uses drop on demand technology allowing it to produce models
with much finer surface finish and much tighter accuracy.

>I need this information for a report and your help would be appreciated.
>Thanks.

You can read all about our ModelMaker on our web page. Give it a look:
http://www.sanders-prototype.com

Regards.

John T. Wigand Sanders Prototype, Inc.
Engineering Program Manager 316 Daniel Webster Highway
jwigand@sanders-prototype.com Merrimack, NH 03054-4115
www.sanders-prototype.com (603)429-9700 x223