Re: silicone tooling inhibitation

From: Foamcaster@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 16 1998 - 02:21:57 EEST

Russ,

Sometimes it's not the cyanoacrylate glue that inhibits the RTV from curing
properly, it's the amine in the Accelerator used to instantly set the CA glue.
Try washing the part with soap and water and then thoroughly drying it before
you pour the RTV.

Also, I've had good success using a small amount of CA glue to "tack" the
parts together . . . then finish bonding the parts with some of the original
SLA resin and a hand held UV light source to cure the joint. On parts
requiring exceptional strength, I use a small structured tooth carbide bit to
V-groove the joint and then "weld" it together with the SLA resin and UV light
source. Properly done, the joint will be as strong as the original SLA part
and will not have any RTV inhibiting effects.

Ken Miller
Miller Technologies
395 S. 1100 W.
Farmington, UT 84025 USA
Voice or Fax: (801) 451-7997
email: foamcaster@aol.com
alphanumeric pager: (801) 241-4274 or
alphanumeric pager via internet: 8012414274@mobile.att.net

<< Does anyone know of a viable alternative to the use of cyanoacrylate
 glues in conjunction with polyaddition cure RTV silicon? We presently
 use these glues in the joining of multiple section SLA and FDM models
 and for attaching the required feeders and risers. The glues are
 inhibiting the curing of the silicon leaving a tacky, deteriorated
 surface finish. Ideally I'm looking for a replacement adhesive with
 characteristics as similar as possible to super-glues in terms of
 convenience and speed.
             With Thanks, Russ Harris, Rapid Prototyping, Jaguar Cars.