Re: SLA5000 Problems

From: James P. Harrison (harrjp@juno.com)
Date: Fri Aug 07 1998 - 01:34:50 EEST

I have been running our SLA5000 since April. The only two problems we
had were:

The first 2 weeks we had sporadic results, 3D replaced the beam profiler
and PCBA.
That resolved our problems.

The 2nd, in June we had the Zephyr pump replaced. That's it!

We have not had a crash since June. This machine runs better than any
SLA
that I have used in 10 years!

As for power, we are in Florida the Lighting capital of the world. We do
not have any
special conditioned power and I have never checked the volts. Power has
not
been a problem, but 3D Systems is famous for blaming problems on power
with our SLA-500.

Which resin are you using?

Call me if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.

Jim

James P. Harrison Director Of Operations
3Dimensional Engineering www.3de.net; harrjp@juno.com
2991 N. Powerline Rd. Pompano Beach, FL. 33069
954-972-9906 (phone) 954-972-8903 (fax)

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998 15:18:31 -0400 Dave Pinkston <DPinkston@masco-rd.com>
writes:
>Hope you can shed some light on this.
>
>Sorry, what your about to read may seem harsh. I'm frustrated, and I
>would like some real answers. I know there may not be any direct
>answers
>but I'm trying to reach out to as mush help as I can. Thanks in
>advance.
>
>We've been running this equipment for 5 weeks and there seems to be a
>high rate of failures. These failures conclude in a sweeper stall.
>(typical right?) 3D Systems has gone through all the settings and
>tests
>and seem to not be able to give me a definite "here is the problem"
>type
>response. We/they change a setting and run it again. The build may
>work
>or fail, or it fails on the next build, which indicates the changed
>settings where not the problem. We've had 5 consecutive good builds
>within this time period which to me is unacceptable.
>
>Now for my questions:
>
>Has any other SLA5000 users had similar problems?
> If so what did you do for it?
>
>What is the acceptable build failure rate for SLA machines? (I know
>failure happens)
>
>One concern is our power source. It will fluctuate from 207 to 246
>volts. does any one have any data on what effect this has on 1) the
>laser as it draws, 2) the life span of the laser, 3) the mirror servo
>motors during the draw, 4) other parts of the operations? I can not
>fine
>any suggestion in the site preparation guide as to supplying
>conditioned
>power. Do you have condictioned power for the SLA5000? What kind,
>maker,
>size, and where?
>
>Knowing that 3D Systems monitors this list, is there someone there
>that
>has any input to this situation. Please respond to me directly. I'm
>trying to keep my managers and VP's calm but there is a lot of money
>involved and you can see their concern. Meantime promises where made
>our costumes and those are not being met.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]