RE: Reverse engineering from photos...

From: Monica & Glenn Whiteside (SiderWhite@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Jul 30 1998 - 06:30:04 EEST

Dear rp-ml:

Many thanks to all who responded on my question about digital photo to 3D
model software. I now have a ton of info to sort through.

Some of the more promising items to use seem to be:

1) Use of a FaroArm portable CMM to directly capture the tube routing
information (might run into space constraints here though).

2) Kodak has a nice website - their Dimension Software might be something to
demo. It seems very powerful, especially with it's single image
capabilities where it uses perspective analysis (and other tools) to
determine the geometric relationship of the camera to the imaged object.
They even have digital cameras available with GPS capability so you can tell
exactly where the picture was taken!
(used a lot for accident investigations).

3) The 3D Construction Company has some software called "3D Builder" that
looks to have a fairly powerful suite of tools for image processing
(texturing, rendering, etc.).

I'll try to compile a more complete list of responses in the next few days.

Again, thanks to all who responded!!

Glenn Whiteside
Cessna Aircraft Company
e-mail: siderwhite@worldnet.att.net