Re: Air bubbles in polyurethane castings

From: Nathaniel J. Leon (connectcds@home.com)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 02:00:09 EEST

Jack:

you wrote:

> I guess this wouldn't work with aluminum molds. I always thought the >pressure simply reduced the bubbles until the urethane cured.

It aluminum molds you will not be able to have the gas disipate into
the mold itself, but you will be able to take advantage of other
techniques.

You can draw a vacuum on the mold while filling it. Then you can
pressurize the mold once it is filled to colapse the last of the air
bubbles before the urethane hardens.

When doing this make sure that your mold is sufficiently strong to with
stand the pressures.

Niel Leon - CDS,inc.