Re: ultra sound welding of urethanes

From: Nathaniel J. Leon (connectcds@home.com)
Date: Wed Jul 22 1998 - 17:03:14 EEST

Robtec S.A. wrote:

> I would like to know if anybody has any experience in welding urathane
> pieces using ultra-sound. Can it be done?

The short answer is sometimes and under the correct conditions.

Just about any thermoplastic, and I am assuming you are talking about
thermoplastic urethane instead of thermosetting urethanes, can be
ultrasonicly welded to itself.

The trouble with urethanes is that in softer forms it takes a lot of
energy to get the two surfaces to excite enough to weld together.

Been there done that. Spent over 6 years bonding urethane systems.

There are other techniques that are prefered, if you need assistance
further drop me E-mail and we can discuss.

Niel Leon - CDS,inc.