Can RP be a manufacturing technology?

From: kmtakita@knowledgefoundation.com
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 18:09:43 EEST

I am currently researching a possible meeting to explore whether rapid
prototyping technologies can be used as actual production/manufacturing
technologies (kind of like in Toy Soldiers!). Do you know of anyone who is
currently utilizing RP in this way who might be willing to speak with me
about their experiences?

I'd also welcome anyone's opinion on the matter, in particular, whether or
not you think that there is/will be any inherent benefits in choosing RP
over other production methods. From what I've heard so far, there seems to
be a long way to go...