Re: CAM--Iges STL

From: Steve_Farentinos (sfarenti@scf.usc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 08 1998 - 16:56:34 EEST

Michael,

Keep in mind that there's alot of information lost in the translation from
IGES to STL that will greatly affect the type of machining you can do. For
example, a hole is no longer a hole and a fillet is no longer a fillet.
Tool paths generated on on STL files are restricted to 2 1/2-D
contouring, from what I've seen. This is the tip of the iceberg for NC
machining. It's the easy part. Writing code for creating a fillet at the
intersection of 2 surfaces or for a threaded hole becomes very difficult.
The same goes for dirlling, counter-boring, chamfering, iso-curve
contouring.

In addition, it's much easier to make changes to IGES than to STL, as you
know. And there's almost always something to change; draft andgles,
parting line location, hold-down lugs, etc.

I do think machining on STL files is a nice option. We've been looking at
a few programs. I downloaded the demo version of Deskproto. It's
impressive and the cost is reasonable.

Steve

--
Steve Farentinos