RE: Constantly Changing Build Platform

From: Bauer Juergen (Juergen.Bauer@SPY.SIEMENS.DE)
Date: Mon Jul 06 1998 - 14:03:06 EEST

>RP'ers

>An Idea that I have for my 'Desk Top Project' which requires your
>comments/Suggestions/Criticisms etc.

>1. A Selective Curing Machine which instead of relying on a Laser or a

>pre printed stl. build platforms (Which must be printed ,loaded un-
>loaded and wasted) would instead use a constantly changing ,
transparent
>LCD tray rising at a constant rate. The UV curing radiation would be
>masked and unmasked by the dark and light regions of the plate???
Has been patented by Light Sculpting.
Research is going on at IKP, University of Stuttgart, Germany.
Problem: Long-term stability of LCDs exposed to UV light.

>2. An extra large scaled Build Platform in union with a concentrating
>lense would remove any complaints about the limited detail due to
>limited pixel size???
You would need a Zoom !
Problems: The special UV-optics would cost as much as the whole SLA
machine today or more; and you would loose speed.

>finally......how would colour-able (Whats the Word?)react to a Color
LCD
>or at least one that could effect the frequency of the UV in regions
>while still sustaining its curing ability???
No idea if this could work.
A Laser solution is still easier to handle.

Regards,
Juergen