Re: artist wants carved styrene shapes

From: gautham@asu.edu
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 18:31:59 EEST

Sharon,
        THis may not be what you are exactly looking for, but never the
less....
        A couple of arts students here from a Visualization & PRototyping
class used an ingenious way to build big prototyppes out of thermocoal from a
smaller part on the computer. What they did was they used QuickSlice , a
software that forms the interface for A FDM machine, to slice up the stl file
& then projected each layer on to a thermocoal slab pressed against the wall (
the distance of projection decides the size of the projected slices). They
then cut along the outlines & stuck the individual layers of cut thermocoal to
make a scaled up prototype of a tooth.
        It is a simple ingenious way to build scaled prototypes yourself.

gautham

 Gautham Kattethota Home : 950, South Terrace Road, #C349
 Grad. student, Tempe AZ 85281
 Dept. of MAE,Mail Code: 6106 Res Ph# : (602)967-4362
 Arizona State University, Off Ph# : (602)965-7830
 Tempe, AZ 85287 Email : gautham@asu.edu