RE: I want to move this discussion to a wider audience

From: Bauer Juergen (Juergen.Bauer@SPY.SIEMENS.DE)
Date: Tue Jun 30 1998 - 19:04:31 EEST

Good point.
"Real" and "Understandible" would be something you can touch, feel, play
with, smell, eat...

Here in my department an interesting process is going on.
In earlier years, RP was only used as a "show it to the customer" means.
Now, as solid modeling is standard, the use of RP increases in number
and in function.

As an example, my boss and my colleagues would not have had the idea to
make elektronically functional parts by RP. Now I run a project with
eight different designs and over 500 parts in total. The building of
these 500+ parts will cost less than making only one simple injection
mould. I do not get exactly the same material and precision, but I can
work around and will only pay 1/10 to 1/8 of the price - not mentioning
that the conventional way would be far too slow.

Now, my colleagues are astonished.
To my opinion, this "salami tactics" is the best way to promote RP in
house.
If you manage to run some smart and successful projects saving money and
time, you will have plenty of "real information in an understandable and
credible form" !

Keep on trying !

Juergen Bauer, Siemens AG, EC CS A PD
E-Mail: Juergen.Bauer@spy.siemens.de
Adress: Siemensstr. 13, 67346 Speyer, Germany
Phone: +49-6232-30-2501; Fax -2110
http://w2.siemens.de/ec/ecb/connect/auto/auto_b.htm