Re: Low cost RP concept model making device

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Fri Jun 19 1998 - 15:40:42 EEST

Norman Chan, Hong Kong Rapid Prototyping Technology Centre, wrote:

>Can anybody tell me that, except 3D's Actua System, is there any other
>systems which can be used to produce low cost, rapid and accurate
>concept model? If yes, can I have the contact points.

Mark Henderson replied:

>Stratasys Genisys (http://www.stratasys.com)
>and
>ZCorp 3D Printer (http://www.zcorp.com)

Jean Varner replied:
>Sanders ModelMaker at www.sanders-prototype.com.

My own contribution:

These four are indeed the currently available concept modellers based on
LMT (Layered Manufacturing Technique). The Modelmaker stands apart here,
as is is primarily accurate, and not fast. Your requirement for both rapid and
accurate will be difficult to achieve).

Please do also consider using CNC based RP systems for concept
modelling. These are cheaper by far, and offer a free choice between
speed and accuracy. Which type is better (LMT or CNC) depends on the
type of model that you need: LMT is best for small, geometry with many
inner details (thin walled), CNC is best for styling block models (solid).

Best Regards,

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling
mailto:info@spline.nl
website:http://www.deskproto.com