How to smoothen a laminated dies`surface?

From: Axel Selk (sel@biba.uni-bremen.de)
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 10:59:56 EEST

Hello list members,
at the BIBA (Bremen Institue of Industrial Technology an Applied Work
Science at the
University of Bremen) we are testing sheet metal forming dies made by
Rapid Prototyping
Technologies.These dies are tested on a rubber pad forming press.We´ve
got a laminated
die which consists of mounted sheet blanks. In order to smoothen the
dies´surface we tried
to putty it with a polyester putty and finished it by grinding. But this
material peels off the die
after some draws. Now we are looking for a sufficient material and a
usable method of
puttieing the die.
Has anybody gained experiences on this field?
Please, contact us, if you know a certain method or material in order to
smoothen the
surface.

kind regards

Axel Selk

BIBA Bremen ,Hochschulring 20, 28359 Bremen
Phone: +49 (0)421-218-5542 Fax: +49 (0)421-218-5510