RE: Too many SB's & a little late

From: DANIEL CHARLES DAVIS (DANIEL@proton.com.my)
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 07:57:38 EEST

Marshall,

That's what I get for answering before my morning coffee. Two
thousands......twenty thousandths.......what's a few thou between
friends. Sorry for any confusion caused by my brain failure.

This thread is timely for me as I was just going over tolerances here
for some plastic parts. I'm sure you realize that in the auto industry,
especially Asia, our tooling is held to 0.1-0.2mm (or even looser) for
90+% of what we make. That leads me to wonder: how many consumer
product industries REALLY need to hold accuracy to 0.05mm overall? Of
course that can get us into a whole debate regarding engineering
practices ala Taguchi methods and "robustness." This is the wrong forum
for that although I would be happy to discuss in private.

Regards,
Dan Davis
Head, RP&M Division
PROTON Berhad