STL's and Open Architecture

From: Andrzejewski, Jan (jan_andrzejewski@peragroup.com)
Date: Tue Jun 02 1998 - 19:52:00 EEST

Albert C. Young wrote:

>We advocate open architecture of the system, which we believe will
>increase performance, increase competition, reduce price and accelerate
>development. Basically, we began with the HPGL language utilizing such
>commands as X, Y, Z, pin-up, pin-down, and speed, and then we added line
>pattern. ....

Very commendable, this would enable any CAD vendor to develop a direct
interface with your StereoLithography machine. I hope that the slicing
contours allows for spline data and not just point to point.

Is it possible for individual companies that use your StereoLithography
machines to develop their own build styles by having access to the open
architecture of the machines controls?

ie some companies could have developed their own improved QuickCast type of
build style without having to wait for the development of a commercially
robust software package.

I know an organisation like ourselves would benefit from a more flexible
approach to machine system development for new application research
projects.

Is there any CAD software that has a direct interface with Solid Imager?

Would it be possible that the STL manipulation package Magics RP be allowed
to output build files to the Solid Imager machines?

Jan Andrzejewski
RP Operations Manager
Pera