RE: A survey about teaching RPM for college students

From: Mark Henderson (mark.henderson@asu.edu)
Date: Sun May 31 1998 - 09:53:36 EEST

Jack,

I began teaching a 3 credit course in RP this past spring on the web. I
can't
let you into the website because the university requires tuition to
take the course, but I
have attached an html page of the purpose. I use the book by Chua and Leong
of Singapore (Wiley) entitled Rapid Prototyping: Principles and Applications
in Manufacturing. I would give this course about a 5 out of 10 this first
time
but it will improve in the future. (I was trying to put my first course on
the web and develop the RP course for the first time simultaneously. I
don't recommend that.) Next time we will include diverse applications
such as those in our PRISM effort (http://surdas.eas.asu.edu) and of course
some hands on activities in both geometry and process. In fact, one result
this semester was a piece of student-developed software to automatically
repair some types of STL errors and display the object, errors and fixes
in 3-D.

However, I think one of the most exciting uses of RP in the curriculum is
to include minisegments such as the one you describe in lots of courses,
especially design and mfg. We are collaborating with University of Leeds
this next year on a joint design course for non-collocated teams (one in
Arizona
and one in the UK) jointly sponsored by Boeing and Rolls-Royce
and will hopefully use RP as a portion of this experience.

Please let me know the results of your survey. Maybe a common discussion
room
for RP course authors/providers would be a good result.

Mark
Mark Henderson
Professor of Industrial and Mgmt Sys. Engineering
Co-Director, Partnership for Research in Stereo Modeling (PRISM)
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-5906
Phone: 602 965 2899
Fax: 602 965 8692