Re: Footprint material

From: Justin R. Kidder (jrkst34+@pitt.edu)
Date: Thu May 21 1998 - 17:47:00 EEST

Why do you want to use a cast of the foot when you can capture the model
data directly from the plantar surface using a CCD and/or laser scanner?
If that is not an option and you need a negative cast for your application
(custom orthotic fitting?), the typical method is to use Plaster of Paris
to make a negative cast of the foot. Takes about 15 minutes for a trained
podiatrist to align the foot in the neutral position and make the cast,
and it should dry within a few hours.

Justin

On Thu, 21 May 1998, HEESUK KANG wrote:

> Hi, RPer's
>
> Does anybody know about footsand or the meterial that can keep
> the shape when it is deformed?
> I want to get geometric data of human's plantar from the footprint, with
>
> CCD and laser slit beam.
> Please tell me how to get such meterial.
> Thanks..
>
> --
>
> Heesuk Kang
> Masters Candidate
> Cad Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Design
> and Production Engineering, Seoul National University
> San 56-1 Shilimdong, Kwanakgu, Seoul, Korea
> 151-742
> Phone : +82-2-880-7447 Fax : +82-2-887-2283
> E-mail : heesuk@cad.snu.ac.kr

Justin Kidder, Research Asst. | Automation and Robotics Laboratory
jrkst34+@pitt.edu | University of Pittsburgh

               Home page: http://www.pitt.edu/~jrkst34
         There are two rules for ultimate success in life:
                1. Never tell everything you know.