RP Strength Anisotropy Question

From: John Kietzman (kietzman@leland.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Mon May 18 1998 - 20:16:18 EEST

Does anybody know of any measurements of orientation-dependent tensile
strengths (or other mechanical properties) for commercial RP processes?

The obvious experiment is building tensile specimens in the plane vs.
making specimens vertically, in the build direction.

I am familiar with the work by Gibson and Shi (commercial SLS machine)
and Thompson (old SLS machine), but I'd be interested in other SLS
work as well. I'd also really like to hear about any work in FDM or SLA
(including fresh-from-the-machine vs. post-cured parts).

Have any of the companies released data like this, or even been known
to collect the data internally? Are any academics investigating this?

Any pointers appreciated,
John Kietzman

Stanford University
Rapid Prototyping Laboratory