Re: Soft/Hard Tooling

From: Victor C. Moreno (vmoreno@becky.nemak.com.mx)
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 19:22:28 EEST

Kiril Sotirov wrote:

> Dear list,I am quite new to RP. I would like to ask whether there is
> a definition of hard tooling, and what are the exact differences
> between hard and soft tooling. Thank you very much. Kiril
> SotirovGraduate Student

 Mr. Sotirov,
I suggest you to take a look at the second book of Dr. Paul F.
Jacobs, "Stereolithography and other RP&M technologies" as in this
book Dr. Jacobs offers a good explanation about soft and hard
tooling. For me I could say that soft tooling refers to the tooling
that stands for small runnnig of production, it is commonly due to the
material that are made. Hard tooling are expected to have a long life
and, of course, is usually made of hard materials (as metals).

Hope this help.

--
Victor Cuauhtemoc Moreno
Design Engineer