RE: Conversion--help, a little OT

From: Ed Lambourne (ebl@delcam.com)
Date: Mon May 11 1998 - 13:30:26 EEST

Michael

Delcam's PowerMILL CAM software will accept models in STL format
directly (as well as IGES etc.). Clearly the accuracy and quality of the machine model
will depend on the tolerance and quality of the STL faceting. If a suitable tolerance has
been chosen in a decent CAD system the results obtained are perfectly acceptable.

If you visit Delcam's site http://www.delcam.com and follow the PowerMILL link you will
see more information posted.

Delcam's DUCT software and the newly announced PowerSHAPE packages are both
appropriate for the modelling of organic, complex shapes with particular emphasis on
modelling for manufacture. Again you can find more details by visiting the web-site.
I understand that the site is being updated today with information on PowerSHAPE.

Finally, if you really do want to produce a NURBS surface over an STL model then Delcam's
CopyCAD software will allow you to do this, again more information on
 http://www.delcam.com

I hope that this may be of some help.

Ed Lambourne
Ed LAMBOURNE Delcam plc
Technical Director Small Heath Business Park, Birmingham, B10 0HJ, UK
ebl@delcam.com Tel: +44 (0)121-766-5544 Fax: +44 (0)121-766-5511
http://www.delcam.com Mobile: +44 (0) 385-768751