[Fwd: rapid prototyping: Community Pulls Together To Give Climb...]

From: Marshall Burns (marshall@ennex.com)
Date: Tue May 05 1998 - 18:43:44 EEST

attached mail follows:

          Community Pulls Together To Give Climbing Sherpa a New Life
                        (PR Newswire; 05/05/98)

    GOLDEN, Colo., May 5 /PRNewswire/   When an opportunity arises to help save
a man's life, who years earlier saved your own   you take it.

    It was 13 years ago when Lhakpa Ongchu Lama Sherpa saved the life of Dr.
Paul Zanowiak, a Houston dentist.  They were ascending Langtang Mountain near
Mt. Everest when Dr. "Z" caught Reiter's Syndrome, making it impossible to
finish the climb, let alone walk.  Lhakpa, a Sherpa who was leading the trek,
made a crude harness and carried the dentist for three days down the mountain
to seek medical attention.

    "I have no doubt that I would not be alive if it weren't for Lhakpa's
efforts," Zanowiak said.  Ever since, the two have become dear friends, and
they yearly travel together through Nepal bringing dental supplies to the
clinic that Dr. "Z" set up on the path to Mt. Everest.

    Recently Lhakpa developed mandibular ankylosis, which is commonly known as
"lock jaw," a condition in which the jawbone actually fuses to the skull,
making it impossible for him to open his mouth, let alone eat a normal diet.
Dr. "Z" enlisted the help of a few friends, and now a surgery is planned for
May 22nd, in Houston, to alleviate Lhakpa from this painful and life-
threatening situation.

    These friends include Medical Modeling Corporation, Houston's Methodist
Hospital, Dr. John Helfrick (a Houston-based oral and maxillofacial surgeon),
and TMJ Implants, Inc. (a Colorado-based manufacturer of temporomandibular
joint implants).  They have all waived their fees, a donation totaling over
$100,000   to help a grateful Lhakpa.

    Medical Modeling Corporation of Golden, Colorado, has produced a plastic
model of Lhakpa's bone structure from a CT scan taken of his skull.  Using a
rapid prototyping process called stereolithography, Medical Modeling
Corporation produced a physical model of the Sherpa's skull and jaw area. This
3D model allows Dr. Helfrick to pre-plan Lhakpa's surgery, saving time in the
operating room, as well as offering the patient a better result.

    "When we were presented with Lhakpa's story, we were not only touched by
the humanity, but we knew our anatomical model could help return Lhakpa's
temporomandibular joints to health," said Andy Christensen, General Manager of
Medical Modeling Corporation.  "We just wanted to help."

    Using the anatomical model produced by Medical Modeling Corporation, Dr.
John Helfrick and Dr. Robert Christensen (President of TMJ Implants, Inc.)
directed the development of a TMJ Patient-Specific(TM) Cobalt-Chrome joint
prosthesis produced by TMJ Implants, Inc.  These prostheses will in effect
totally replace the Sherpa's jaw joints.  Dr. Helfrick will perform the implant
surgery to relieve the Sherpa's condition.

    "It's only fair that the one person who saved my life gives me the chance
to help him with his life," Zanowiak said.  "It's just the way the Sherpa
people are anyway   you give up yourself and it comes back again."

SOURCE  Medical Modeling Corporation
    -0-                             05/05/98
    /CONTACT:  Andy Christensen of Medical Modeling, 303-273-5344,
infomedicalmodeling.com/
    /Photo:  http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/pub/pd/pdz?fPRN/prnphotos&grid2
or NewsCom, 305-448-8411/
    /Web site:  http://www.medicalmodeling.com/

CO:  Medical Modeling Corporation
ST:  Colorado
IN:  MTC
SU:

{PRNewswire:Pharmaceutical-0505.336}   05/05/98

[ ] Put an X here to receive a form through which you may inspect, modify, or stop this Agent. {rapid prototyping}

Questions? Email support@inquisit.com -- we're here to help!

Delivered via the Inquisit(TM) business intelligence service http://www.inquisit.com. All articles Copyright 1998 by their respective source(s); all rights reserved. The information contained in this message is for use by licensed Inquisit subscribers only and may not be forwarded, distributed, published or broadcast in any medium. For more information about the rp-ml, see http://ltk.hut.fi/rp-ml/