Re: big tool request.

From: Professor P M Dickens (pdickens@dmu.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 05 1998 - 10:11:16 EEST

Dear Masuo Namme,
If the parts must be injection moulded and the parts are very large then
it may be worth considering laminated tooling. This is using a similar
technique as that developed by Professor Takeo Nakagawa at the
University of Tokyo in Roppongi.
We have used laminated tooling for injection moulding. The laminates
were simply clamped together and we produced plastic parts at 3000psi.
We are just installing a 125 tonne die casting machine as we are now
concentrating on laminated tooling for die casting aluminium parts.
Casting aluminium into unbonded tools at high pressures also works.
Laminated tooling is generally not suitable for small tools but works
well on large ones. I would imagine it would work very well for a bumper
or dashboard tool.

Professor Phill Dickens
De Montfort University
Leicester